Meet Your School Counselor
My name is Micah Merriman and I am very excited to be Kirtland Elementary School's counselor! In May of 2015 I graduated from the University of New Mexico with a Master of Arts in counseling and became a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) later that year. Because of my love for working with children I returned to graduate school in order to become a school counselor. Through my work at Kirtland Elementary I will be operating from a Person-Centered approach which values listening without judgement and recognizes one’s ability to find their own solutions to problems or issues with a little support. A focus on your child’s strengths and listening with empathy will also be regularly used in counselor-student interactions.
In my role as the school counselor I often:
- Consult and work with community members
- Meet individually with students upon referral or request
- Facilitate counseling through use of small groups
- Provide classroom guidance lessons to every class at Kirtland
As a school counselor I will work to maintain confidentiality. Please note that some limits to confidentiality are:
- If there is reported or suspected child or elder abuse
- If there is reported or suspected child or elder neglect
- If there is suspicion, or a child reports they want to harm themselves or someone else
- a court subpoenas records/information associated with counseling services
Students might meet with the counselor to discuss any of the following:
- Friendships & Relationships
- Family changes
- Grief issues
- Safety concerns (for yourself or others)
That all students graduating or moving on from Kirtland Elementary School will have the academic, personal and social skills needed to find success in all they do-believing that they are capable of achieving great things.
To provide all students with the skills needed for lifelong success through delivering activities that promote academic, social/emotional and career focused learning and by building positive relationships within the school and community.
Office: (505) 255-3131, ext. 5
NM Crisis Line
- Toll free, open 24/7/365
Peer to Peer Warmline
- Call or text to connect with a peer